Thursday, September 11, 2014

Reflections on 9/11 and Other Things

13 years ago today I woke up and started my day in the usual manner. I got my daughter changed, went to make her breakfast, and turned on the TV. Normally the TV was permanently set on Disney Channel, but this morning it was on a local news station. I looked to see the first tower burning. I immediately called my husband and asked him if he knew what was going on. While we were on the phone, I watched in horror as the second tower was hit. Then the Pentagon was hit and every military base went on total lockdown. I couldn't reach my husband at all. He wasn't able to contact me until almost 5 PM that evening. It had taken him that long to get off of the base and to a pay phone to call. I remember I spent that day holding my daughter and crying. What was going on?

Obviously today has stirred up memories. And it has made me reflect on plenty of other things too. For example, my daughter has never known a world where there isn't a threat of domestic terrorism. At the time of 9/11, I had just been diagnosed with Lupus. My daughter has never known a time when her mom was completely healthy and full of energy. 

13 years later, the same world exists for my son. But there are other things going on now. My son will never have his own memories of his Bubbe, my mom. He lives in a world that knows the threat of domestic terrorism is everywhere. He lives in a world where forces want to destroy the Jewish people. (OK, that part is always happening and has throughout history.)It's kind of a mess out there.

This morning I woke up with my normal routine again. I got my son out of bed, got him dressed, made him breakfast and turned on the TV. Today I turned it to a news station just to make sure there was nothing new. It was filled with images of 13 years ago. I was down this morning. It was hard to think about doing much of anything. But I made the decision to pull up myself up by my proverbial bootstraps and head out to Mission BBQ in California, MD to help honor the fallen heroes of 9/11. Those brave men and women that gave their lives for us! I also wanted to honor the men and women who put their lives on the line everyday for our protection and freedom, my heroes! I shook hands with fireman and women. I thanked them for what they do. I shook hands with men and women in military service and thanked them as well. I didn't do it to make myself feel better, I did it because it's what I'm supposed to do. It's what I am called to do. It's what I love to do!

I know it seems that I have spent my day reflecting on sad things, I want you to know that I know there is a bright side. It says so in the Bible. Romans 8:28 says,"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." This lets me know that even though the world seems bleak and scary at times, God has everything under control. He will work it all out for his glory! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment