Monday, September 17, 2012

The Best Thing That Has Ever Happened to Me!


On October 22, 1994 I met the man of my dreams. We met at an Out of the Grey concert that both of us happened to be working. He was doing stage crew and I was working the World Vision table. Now when I first saw him I didn't think anything. He really wasn't my type. Besides, he introduced himself to my 2 beautiful blond friends first, then he got to me. But then the most amazing thing happened... I asked him where the water fountain was and he told me to wait a minute. He left and a minute or 2 later he came back with a cup of water for me. Wow! I don't think I'd ever seen a gentleman before that night. I was immediately interested.
Throughout the night we chatted and I found out so much about him. In my head I was checking off criteria from my "what to look for in a potential spouse" list.
(Side note... I had been praying for the man I was going to marry since I was 14 years old. Every night I prayed. I was 4 days away from my 23rd birthday when I met JR.)
By the end of the night I knew I was going to marry him. But I wouldn't make any first moves. Before I left he had asked for my phone number. We exchanged numbers and my life has never been the same! We were engaged 3 months to the day after we met and were married 8 months after that.
Meeting and marrying my husband has been the greatest thing in my life. Second only to being saved! JR has been a source of healing from my past. His family has taken me in as one of their own and I love them. The first Christmas I spent with JR, we weren't engaged yet. His parents had only met me once. But there were presents under the tree for me from them!
Since today is my 17th anniversary, I wanted to take this opportunity to let everyone know how incredible my husband is and how blessed I have been for having him in my life. To quote Spiral Staircase, JR, "I love you more today then yesterday. But not as much as tomorrow!"

On May 13, 1993, I wrote this poem for my husband. I met him a year and a half later!

"Lord, I life up to you the man you've chosen for me. May your grace abound to him everyday.
May he be as bold as a lion, as gentle as a dove and always have his heart turned toward you.
May he love you the most, more than everything in the world. May he love you more then he'll love me.
May his heart be open to your call, his ears listening to your voice, his mind meditating on your word, and his lips always speaking the prayers of a warrior.
Give his heart a burden for the lost, and a desire to see all come to you.
Give him a compassion for those who and hurting, and a longing to see them set free.
May the fire of your spirit well up in his soul.
Breathe courage upon him so that he can preach your gospel.
Build in him a love for family, a playfulness best used with kids.
Give him a tender touch, a soothing voice, and a warm embrace.
Make him a covering, a protector, a comforter, a friend and a lover.
And in your perfect timing, may he come and find me."

No comments:

Post a Comment