Saturday, March 5, 2011

I've Been Through the Desert on a Horse With No Legs

Ahhh, yes. This is just one of the many songs my brain has butchered the lyrics to over the years. I thought of this last night while listening to 80's on 8 on my XM radio. A Bryan Adams song came on and at this one point I started laughing, looked at JR and said, "Wow! I have no idea what Bryan just said there." That lead to remembering Eddie Murphy's imitation of James Brown on stage and the background guys saying. "What'd James just say? I don't know, just go with it!"

I began to ponder the songs that I've messed up lyrics to and decided to share them here. The most recent one is "Get Back" by Paul McCartney. For years now I have thought that he was singing "Jojo was a man who thought he was a woman, but he really was a man." WRONG! Then there's one of my favorites, "Secret Agent Man" that I thought was "Secret Asian Man." The best though is the title of the blog. America's song "I've Been Through the Desert on a Horse with No Name." I grew up thinking that song said, "I've been through the desert on a horse with no legs." I remember thinking, "Wow! That couldn't have been a very long trip. Why did the horse have no legs? Why was he trying to ride the horse with no legs?" I had a very active imagination!


I'm sure there are many, many other songs that I have messed up over the years. I can't remember them all. But I want to leave you with my all time favorite. Unfortunately I can't take credit for this one. I saw it on a commercial. "Rock the Casbah" by the Clash. In the commercial they sing, "The sheep don't like it! Lock the cash box, lock the cash box!"

No comments:

Post a Comment