Thursday, March 3, 2011

What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?

Nah... no one here is drunk! Actually, no one here is a sailor either. I'm not entirely sure why this song popped into my head today, but it triggered a funny memory. 

Years ago I was a nanny. (I mean YEARS ago! My baby is now 20!) When AJ was learning walk, he was unsteady, as all new walkers are. He would stagger around the house like a drunken sailor and his dad used to sing this song to him all the time. "What do you do with a drunken munchkin, err-lie in the mornin'?"

I believe we are done with the TOTALLY random part of today's blog. Now back to our regularly scheduled program... whatever that is!

So, what have I done today? Well, not a lot would have to be my answer. I believe I've had 2 cups of coffee, (decaf!) some toaster waffles, put a load of laundry in the washer, (not the dryer yet) watched my sick kid play Lego Harry Potter on the X-Box and started knitting a hat for the baby! I believe that makes the "Drunken Munchkin Song" memory the highlight of the day. Kind of sad in a way. I'm going through these periods of major nesting then periods of major disinterest in what needs to happen in the house. I suppose this is pretty typical for the end of a pregnancy but since it's been 11 years since my last one, I'm not too sure. (Wow! Looking back at what I just wrote... I need to eat something! Quickly! Like a really good burger and mashed potatoes from Boomerangs! DANG IT! Em is sick and I can't go anywhere and Boomerangs doesn't deliver... deep, pathetic sigh...)

I'm excited because the baby will be here by April 5th, actually April 1st if my OB can get the induction on the schedule. I'm nervous because that means in 4 weeks I will have a new life that I am responsible for. And when it's your own, it's WAY different than being a nanny. At least when I had AJ, his parents came home every night and took my responsibility away for the evening.  I suppose I shouldn't worry too much, I mean, Em has turned out well. I know I can do this whole child rearing thing, not extremely well, but well enough, hopefully!


Well, I certainly hope this blog entry is entertaining. I think it's pretty confusing but I just got a Facebook message from a friend that says the following: "I have a brain puzzle magazine that says it's been scientifically proven that a woman's brain shrinks when pregnant, and takes up to 6 months after to return to normal size." Great... I'm totally hosed!

1 comment: